How the Build Back Better Awards are judged
PRODUCTS - LIGHTING
Unlike many industry awards, entrants to the Build Back Better Awards are judged on their merits alone and against market norms rather than other entrants in the same category.
Hence there can be several Build Back Better Awards Platinum and Gold awards in the same category if judges believe they merit the award.
Build Back Better Gold will be awarded to candidate products and projects which exhibit true innovation and unique points of difference, while Build Back Better Platinum is reserved for exceptional exemplars with the potential to transform and disrupt their sector.
Products designed and made with an exceptional commitment to circular economy and sustainability principles – as opposed to merely low energy – can receive the Build Back Better Green rating. This is in the gift of the judges and not an award that can be specifically applied for.
Beyond the degree of innovation demonstrated by the product, the judges will assess how the entrant helps tackle the four major crises in the built environment that the Build Back Awards has uniquely identified and set itself the task of helping to tackle. These are:
- The Climate Crisis
The built environment contributes about 45% of total carbon emissions. How is this entrant contributing to reducing this?
- The Wellbeing Crisis
The pandemic has tested our collective mental health and wellbeing. Is the candidate product part of the solution?
- The Productivity Crisis
Is the entrant product contributing to an improvement in productivity?
- The Skills Crisis
The lack of skills is hampering the construction sector. Is the product helping to alleviate this?
- A sample or prototype of the product should be in existence and available for inspection by judges by 24 May 2021. By submitting an entry, you agree to sending a sample if requested by the organisers.
- Entries can be submitted from any section of the supply chain including manufacturers, lighting designers, installers and end users.
- Winners in the product category only will be required to purchase a winner’s pack. See more about the benefits and current cost HERE.
PROJECTS - LIGHTING
We welcome lighting projects from all sectors, including outdoor, public realm, workplace, retail, residential, healthcare, leisure, faith, hospitality and industrial. We particularly welcome projects where lighting has a social value and dimension beyond the illumination of a space.
Lighting that’s designed primarily for collaboration, wellbeing or inclusion, where the lighting is for people. We want to recognise and celebrate these schemes as exemplars of a shared future.
There can be several Build Back Better Awards Platinum and Gold awards in the same category if judges believe they merit the award.
Build Back Better Gold will be awarded to projects which exhibit innovation and unique points of difference, while Build Back Better Platinum is reserved for exceptional exemplars with a unique vision.
• Projects should have been completed, refurbished, substantially altered or improved in the period 1 January 2016 to 24 May 2021. They can be located anywhere in the world.
- For projects please specify all parties involved in the project e.g. the user, the designer, the installer, the manufacturer of equipment.
- All projects should be fully compliant with the appropriate UK and International Standards.
- Entrants giving false or misleading information will be excluded from the competition. If an award is given and it is subsequently found that information submitted is materially false or misleading, the organisers reserve the right to remove the award.
- By submitting pictures and information, you are agreeing to the their dissemination on-line and in publications in the promoting of good lighting.
- All supplied images and material must be copyright free.